Friday, July 4, 2008

Not so sure about WALL-E anymore

OK, so they reviews of WALL-E have been wonderful, and I usually like Pixar movies anyway, so my husband and I were planning to go, once the crowds have cleared out.

Today, however, I get this movie review from Mises.org: WALL-E: Economic Ignorance and the War on Modernity For anyone who doesn't know Mises.org, they are an Austrian economics think tank. I found out about them last year while campaigning for Ron Paul, and I subscribed to their newsletter, which generally has articles with titles like The Non-Issue that Should be an Issue (federal deficit spending) and Commodity Prices and Inflation: What's the Connection? Basically, their articles give me long words that I can use with other people to describe my core beliefs. And they are not usually reviewing movies.

Apparently, according to this review (and not in any of the previews I saw), there are people in WALL-E. Corpulent, complacent people run by the man, who, in this case, is represented by a large corporation. The Mises reviewer takes issue with the idea that humans could exist for seven hundred years without any innovation whatsoever. He also takes issue with the idea that the salvation of the human race is a return to subsistence farming. But his big problem is the use of the movie as a vehicle to feed children "environmentalist, anticapitalist, and antitechnological propaganda."

If he's right, and it's that blatant, I probably am not going to enjoy it much. The farm I work on is a grass finished beef and grass fed goat operation; we're concerned about the ethical and ecological implications of our current mainstream meat operations. But I'm a Libertarian-leaning Republican who used to have a day job in the legal field, so I am pretty tired of brainless "capitalism is bad, the State must save us from ourselves before global warming destroys us all!" ideology. I don't think I want to pay my hard-earned dollars just to get angry at the screen. Maybe this is one to get from the Library after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment