Sunday, December 20, 2009

What if I don't want a new car?

Mr. Goat and I have been driving one car for years. It's a 2002 Honda Civic with ~107000 miles on it. It is the opposite of sexy, but it gets us where we want to go, reliably, except for the one time that the radiator busted on Christmas Day in Cut And Shoot, Texas (and that was two years ago).

Today is my birthday, and my parents excitedly announced that they were going to buy me a new car. I don't want another car, and I certainly don't want a new car. Just thinking about the depreciation entailed practically brings me to tears. Not to mention the anticipatory pain of the first ding, scratch, or Coke spill. And I don't need the extra expense of a second car either.

I tried to act happy about it, but I didn't do a very good job. They just wanted to do something nice for me and I was not a gracious recipient. So now I feel guilty too, which is silly, I know, but I hate the idea that they've been thinking about how happy I would be, and now they are disappointed.

I know that I'm not going to get any sympathy, but I was hoping for some advice. Should I try to turn down the car gracefully? Buy one and try to enjoy that my parents want me to be happy? Insist on the five year used Acura that I always thought I'd get when the Honda died rather than a new one? What would you do?

4 comments:

  1. It's great that they're so generous, and that they want to do something for you. How offended would they be if you suggested a slightly used car instead of a brand new one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough one.

    Are they planning on buying you a brand new car, outright? And just giving it to you? Are they expecting you to replace your Honda with the new car?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a tough one. I understand your delima. I too drive an older car that I don't want to replace.
    Is there anything you need that perhaps they could get you instead? If it were me....I would politely explain why I preferred to keep my car but that their offer is extremely generous. If they wanted to get me something else that I wanted or needed (and I would have some suggestions in mind).
    Good luck with everything. I definitely agree on worrying about the first ding and coke spill. I still worry about those things in my 2000 car! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The idea is that they would buy me the car outright, and then Mr. Goat and I would each have a car.

    I think I'm going to look around and see what is in the local used car lots. If I find something I like, I think it will be better than just saying to my parents "I don't want it."

    ReplyDelete