Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Low-Fat Bread Machine Bread

I got a bread machine for Christmas ... and I am beginning to think that it is not a coincidence that I've been having weight management problems since then.  I've been counting each 1 oz slice of the recipe I was using as one point, according to the generic Weight watchers standard.  I worked out the actual points the other day - it was 5 points a slice!  Figure 2-3 slices a day, and I've been eating a "stealth" 8-12 points a day.

Looked around on the internet, and the only book I could find was The Best Low-Fat, No-Sugar Bread Machine Cookbook Ever.  I ordered it from the library, and quite franky the recipies all looked gross.  Instead of honey or sugar, most of her recipies use ... prunes.  I like prunes, but I don't like sweet bread at all.  Still, as I had no other options that I could see, I chose a beer bread with 83 calories an oz as the least disgusting looking and gave it a try.

It was delicious.  Despite being sweetened with prunes, it tasted earthy and wheaty, not sweet, with a lovely chewy texture.  Since I was already two days late on returning the book to the library, I haven't had a chance to try any of the other recipes, but I have ordered it online and can't wait to see how her other disgusting-looking creations taste.  I am really exited about this - I didn't want to go back to preservative-full, flavorless store bread, but I just couldn't see how I could stay at a reasonable weight when every ounce of bread I ate had more than 200 calories in it.  I love the internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment