Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week in Review - 1/15 - 1/21

Carla's Low Spend Challenge

I have spent 86% of our monthly budget, and we are 68% through the month.  I'd be almost caught up, but I broke down and decided to buy a stroller for my house, because I love the BOB Revolution
 at my parents' so much.  I bought the slightly less complicated-looking (and expensive) L.L.Bean Schwinn Turismo Jogger Double.  On the positive side, I got one refund from a doctor and one return of a deposit that will add 6% back to my budget as soon as they post to my account.  I also got confirmation that I will be getting another $100 back from a different doctor, and I put in insurance reimbursement requests for five months of psychiatrist appointments.  I don't expect this money to arrive during the challenge, but the motivation came from getting all my financial ducks in a row for the challenge.

I cleaned my pantry.  It was pretty gross, and I gave the chickens anything that was not encased in hard plastic, but my pantry is now clean again.  I also remembered why I stopped using my bread maker; it is on its last legs.  Apparently Cuisnanrt never intended its Cuisinart CBK-200 2-Pound Convection Automatic Bread Maker to bake bread on a regular basis; the top is broken and the clips that hold the bread pan in place are going as well, and it is less than three years old.  But it's still chugging (loudly) along, so I'm going to make bread in it until it dies completely.  Here is loaf number one, as promised:
I used this recipe at allrecipes.com, except that I used oat flour instead of oat bran, and it was delicious; we ate it all Saturday night.  Today, I experimented by substituting 1/2 cup whole wheat flour for 1/2 cup white flour, making it a 20% whole wheat bread, and I liked it even better.  My goal is to get a 50% whole wheat bread that I like and can make in 5 mins or less via the machine, but this will do until I can find that recipe.

Now it is time to tackle the living room.  It is an absolute disaster, so normally I would make it a two week project, but two of my best friends from college are coming into town this weekend, so I want to get my booty in gear and get it done this week.

10 Pound Challenge

I've only cheated a little on my nutrient-dense pledge this week, and I have been working out.  I haven't weighed myself; I meant to this morning but I forgot.  I'll see how I am doing next week.

2012 Goals


I am on Exodus chapter 29 this week in the The Holy Bible, English Standard Version (still free from Amazon).  Reading about how the ark should be built and the priests should be dressed is so boring and doesn't seem relevant to my life at all.  Today my pastor recommended that I read Social-Science Commentary on the Synoptic Gospels by Bruce J. Malina in response to some questions I had about Jesus' admonition to turn the other cheek.  I plan to request it from the library and will let you know if I find it helpful.

I made it to the gym 3 times this week!  Also, I worked out 6 days.  I start walking 5 days a week with my friend tomorrow, and I am planning to go to the gym MTWR and swim as well.

Money mostly remains on autopilot.  As I said above, I got some refunds that will go toward my totals.  I also need to put a few things in for FSA reimbursement, which will add about 3% of my budget back for the month.  It will be tight, but I think I can come in barely under the wire for Carla's challenge if I can limit myself to one more grocery shop in the next ten days.

The one thing I did not do this week was shoot.  I'm going to try to squeeze it in this week, but between the living room and extra gym time, it is kind of unlikely.  I guess I need to schedule a weekly time and just make myself go.  Because it is a fun thing, it keeps being placed on the back burner to other, less-fun things like cleaning the pantry.  And, chances are, my shooting skill (or lack thereof) won't matter a jot my entire lifetime.  However, if I ever need it, I want to be in good form and practice, and that's something that requires consistency.

How was your week?  Is your budget getting tight as the end of the month approaches, or is it just me?

2 comments:

  1. Love your new stroller! I bet it has a great resale value as well! Our $$ is getting tight too... I have in a pork order I need to cover so have to really watch every single penny this week! I'm currently reading "The Voice, New Testament"... It's really interesting... I believe the full version comes out in April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjolyed reading how you are doing, well done,

    Gill

    ReplyDelete