Friday, October 19, 2012

Resolved: No More Novels Until I Get a Job, So Please Help Me with Book Suggestions

I'm having trouble using my time wisely.  Part of the problem is that Football continues to have trouble sleeping at night.  Mr. Goat was staying with her at night, and I was supervising during the day, but that was leading to me getting nothing done.  So we've changed the schedule and now I sleep next to her on the tatami all night, rather than on my Tempur-Pedic, and try to nap during the day.  It's not yet a roaring success, and my tiredness makes it easy for me to succumb to distraction.

I've always had a thing for trashy novels.  When I was twelve or so, my favorite series was Mercedes Lacey's Valdemar series (which starts with Arrows of the Queen), and my taste in novels has not improved since then.  Let's just say that if you want any advice on good paranormal erotica, I can be your go-to girl.  And, with the rise of digital publishing, Amazon has a practically unending stream of authors writing fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal pulp who will give you their first book free.  Occasionally, one is really good (The Emperor's Edge is a good example), but mostly I end up with stuff that's just entertaining enough that I don't put it down, but not really a fun read.  However, it is an excellent procrastination tool.

I need to get my life back on track.  My house is a wreck, neither Mr. Goat nor I is bringing in any income (unless you count paid surveys), and I'm exhausted all the time.  I need to pare things out of my life that suck time and energy, and novels look like low-hanging fruit.  I'll miss them, as I am in the habit of reading at least 100 pages of literature a day, but in their place I hope to add more Bible reading (I am only about 75% through my Bible choice for this year, The Holy Bible, English Standard Version) and other inspiring literature ( I am thinking things like Let. It. Go.: How to Stop Running the Show and Start Walking in Faith, which I have pre-ordered).

So I am asking for help; do you have any other reading suggestions?  They need not be religious, but I am looking for non-fiction that is either helpful with my specific current issues (finding a job, cleaning a house, raising two toddlers, one of which doesn't sleep) or localvore or pf related.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed Max Lucados "Grace"... as for homemaking, Emily Barnes is wonderful & has soo many great books to choose from! :)

    ReplyDelete