Monday, January 3, 2011

Inexpensive Hair Routine for Swimmers

If your New Year's resolution involves working out in the pool, you need to be extra careful of your hair.  After the first two months of swimming this summer, my hair was wretched.  It was frizzy and sticky with buildup, so much so that I had to buy a wide tooth comb because I couldn't get a brush through it.  You don't want to end up with hair like this - it is really nasty.

I went online and searched around, but the specialized shampoos and conditioners for swimmers started at about $.80 / oz and went up from there.  I knew I could maintain my hair for much cheaper than that, so I started trying products from my local dollar stores until I found something that worked.  My hair is now completely back to normal, and I get compliments on how shiny it is all the time.

Here is my routine:

Before Swimming
(1) Wet hair
(2) Wring out hair
(3) Apply a quarter-sized amount of Mane 'n Tail Deep Moisturizing Conditioner to hair.
(4) Cover hair with swim cap.

After Swimming
(1) Rinse Mane 'n Tail Deep Moisturizing Conditioner out of hair
(2) Shampoo with Tresemme Shampoo European Deep Cleansing (All Types).  When I was first removing the buildup from my hair, I would leave it in for a minute, but now I just apply and rinse out immediately.
(3) Condition again with Mane 'n Tail Deep Moisturizing Conditioner.  I like to leave it in for at least two minutes.


Cost
If you're a real coupon-savvy, sale-minded shopper, you can probably do better than my prices on these.  I like coupons, but I'm OK with getting quality products at consistent low prices.
 
Tresemme Shampoo European Deep Cleansing (All Types) - $.13 /oz (Dollar General for $3 + tax for 25 oz).

Mane 'n Tail Deep Moisturizing Conditioner - $.17 /oz
(Winn-Dixie for $5 + tax for 32 oz).

No comments:

Post a Comment