Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Time to Put on the Big Girl Pants

In January this year, I was flying high because, for the first time since I went to law school, I had a positive net worth.  In May, I confidently anticipated that I would be able to make all my financial goals for the year.  Then Mr. Goat decided to quit his job, which he hated, and look for part-time work so that he could take care of the babies while I looked for a job.  I figured we had six months of expenses saved, Mr. Goat practically had a new job lined up, and we were good to go.


First, we overspent in June and July, leaving us only 5 months of living expenses.  Then, Mr. Goat's potential job strung him along for two months, and even now don't have the balls to tell him that it just isn't going to happen. (OK, to be fair, the guy he was talking to really wants to hire him, and I think truly believes that somehow a miracle will occur and he will get the authorization to do so.  But it's still a PITA).  I had an interview and was informed that I was a top candidate for what looked to be a dream job, and then the national organization announced an hiring freeze of indefinite duration last week and I was informed that I would not be hired after all.  (Although, once hiring commences again, I should feel free to re-apply).  Finally, Mr. Goat ruptured a disc in his back this weekend and, even though we have paid more than $4000 to COBRA, our insurance shows us as not covered, meaning everything will come out of pocket until I can get this straightened out.

So, in short, I have 6 weeks and one day before I run out of money, Mr. Goat won't be able to lift anything (including babies) for at least two weeks and probably much longer, and will be on pain meds for at least two weeks which make him a zombie and unable to look for a job.

My assets are first, my parents are helping with childcare, and they previously gifted Mr. Goat and I with an au pair for the year, who will arrive in mid-October.  Second, I took the bar exam, and the results come out on October 12, which means that I should be licensed to practice law in Louisiana shortly thereafter.  Finally, my mother-in-law, who is retired, should get in today and will stay for an indefinite duration to help with babies as well.

My options are:

(1) Borrow money from my parents until Mr. Goat or I gets a job (probably doable by January).  I'm lucky enough to have parents who have the resources to help me out if necessary.  But I still owe them for the last time they helped me out, and I don't want to borrow more money from them.

(2) Borrow money from sources other than my parents.  Less distasteful than option 1, but silly, as why pay more?  And it creates the same problem of putting me further back into the debt hole.

(3) Try to figure out how to get a job with a paycheck between now and October 31st.  This will probably require that I do something less than my dream job, and just take what is available.  It will also require me to focus with gazelle-like intensity on finding something, which is pretty hard to do considering that I'll be the primary caregiver for three people for at least the next two weeks.

(4) ?

Prayers would be much appreciated.


  1. I'm so sorry that you're going through so much hardship right now... You'll be in my prayers. ((hugs))

  2. yikes... sending many prayers and good thoughts your way! You can do this!

    1. Thanks Allison. Just a matter of putting one foot in front of the other, but that first step is looking a bit rough:)