Thursday, January 7, 2010

How much would you spend on ...

J.Money over at Budgets are Sexy has an interesting thought exercise up - how much money he would spend on various items.  I decided to take the idea a step further and try to remember (1) what I spent on the last item of that sort that I purchased and (2) the most I've ever spent on a similar item.


CATEGORY
Purse (or Wallet):
Winter jacket:
A pair of (knee-high) boots:
Formal dress (or suit):
Pants (inc. jeans):
Computer:
Tennis Shoes:
J. Money
$20
$100
$40
$100
$40
$1,500
$40
Krystal
$200/100
$350
$250
$300
$150
$3,000
$250
Fab. Broke
$200
$400
$300
$200/$100
$50
$1,000
$50
Would
$1000
$400
$125
$1500
$300
$3500
$150
Last
$350
$25
$100
$165
$8
$3000
$65
Most
$550
$150
$325
$800
$150
$3000
$125

Apparently, I'm willing to pay quite a bit more for these items than J. Money and (mostly) the other PF bloggers he polled. This is because, to me, most of these items are long-term purchases. For instance, the $550 purse was bought in 2004, it's still in nice condition, and I still use it. The $150 jacket was a fox fur jacket bought on ebay in 2003 and last worn three weeks ago. The $800 suit was bought in 2001 and used for interviews until I lost 30 pounds last year and couldn't wear it anymore.

It's not a typo that I'm willing to pay less now than my previous high price on boots. It reflects my high level of disappointment with the Irish Setter Snake Boots I bought for farm work at that price and how happy I am with my MuckBoots . Often price does not indicate quality, and I'm not hot to buy stuff just because it is more expensive.

The items that I don't consider long-term are computers and tennis shoes, but as a gamer and a runner, I've bought bargain-basement stuff and lived to regret it. I bet Krystal does something that requires good shoes as well. If I wore tennis shoes for less vigorous activity, I wouldn't be willing to pay nearly as much. As for computers, my non-gaming activities could easily be accomplished on a $500 machine. And actually, the numbers there are deceptive, as a generally upgrade my rig one part at a time - the 3K computer was a Mac for Mr. Goat to use for work.

I also haven't put my money where my mouth is on several of these items - I can imagine a situation where I would pay that much, but it hasn't occurred yet. And it's not like I don't like a bargain as much as the next person (see my last winter coat and pants purchases). So maybe this exercise doesn't show anything except that I like making tables with lots of numbers.

2 comments:

  1. haha, yes making tables with lots of numbers is kinda fun if you're nerds like us ;) pretty damn interesting to see yours compared to ours though!

    as long as you're being honest with yourself, and you're cool with it, then all is good my friend. thx for the shout out and glad you enjoyed the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My table basically would be represented by J. Money. I can't spend much. Even though I always consider quality and the life of the product. Then again, I am in a family of four. If it was just me and my husband I might reconsider what I would spend on these items. Of course, I did buy a $2,500 computer. Tech gadgets take the cake over clothing anyday. ;)

    ReplyDelete